CUH Women's Volleyball: Silverswords Sign Five for 2012 | Schools
Information courtesy: Chaminade University
HONOLULU, HI- Coach Kahala Kabalis is pleased to announce the signing of five incoming players for the upcoming 2012 season.
Incoming freshman, Reigna Johnson, 6’0” middle from Chandler, Arizona currently attends Hamilton High School and captains her 18’s team for the Aspire Volleyball Club. Coach Kabalis commented: “Reigna’s athleticism and potential will help us become a force at the net.” Hamilton High School is one of the state’s top high school volleyball programs and we are very fortunate to have Reigna join the Silverswords. She will pursue a major in the direction of pre-medicine.
Also from Arizona is incoming freshman Lexis Evans of Phoenix, AZ. Evans was voted MVP for North High School Volleyball team amongst other awards that include: being named to the All-Phoenix Girls Volleyball Team, First Team All-Region in both her sophomore and junior year and Honorable Mention for States her junior and senior year. Coach Kabalis added, “Evans has experience playing outside hitter, middle blocker, and right-side hitter, which will give us depth and versatility in the frontline.”
Matia Spencer, an outside hitter/defensive specialist from Dayton, Nevada, will receive her AA degree from Brevard Community College this May after attending Dayton High School where she was a four year varsity letter winner. Spencer played two years at BCC for Coach Herb Tokumoto, a Hawaii Native, earning First Team All-Southern Conference Honors and MVP in the Pioneer Classic as a freshman and sophomore. This year Spencer is ranked 10th in digs per set in the FCSAA Region 8, which includes all junior colleges in the state of Florida. She hit 2.35 kills per set and had over 500 digs with a 3.82 digs per set total. At BCC Matia has been on the Dean’s List for the past two years. Spencer wished to come to Hawaii to explore her Hawaiian heritage and is planning to major in psychology at Chaminade.
Daniella Montoya, standout setter from Las Vegas, New Mexico, transfers in after earning her AA from New Mexico Military Institute in Roswell, NM under the direction of Coach Shelby Forchtner. Montoya was an All-Conference and All-Region pick in both of her seasons at the Institute and holds the school’s single season and career marks for assists. Montoya lead the Western Junior College Athletic Conference in assists with 1,391, which set the single-season mark at NMMI and finished her career total with 2,361 assists. At NMMI Daniella maintained a 3.86 GPA and is planning on majoring in psychology at Chaminade.
Kim Spring a native of Bern, Switzerland is also set to join the Silverswords for 2012. Spring has been a member of the Switzerland National Beach Team as well as the Junior National Indoor Team. In 2007, at the age of 15, Spring won the Switzerland Beach Championships 18U Division and also claimed a spot on the National Beach Team. Spring was a member on the Junior National Indoor Team from 2006-2010 and competed in ten international matches. She is a 5’9’’ outside, right-side hitter and an all-around player who has the ability to be a threat on the court. Spring will major in Forensic Science at Chaminade.
Sports Information Director
Men's Golf Coach
3140 Waialae Ave.Honolulu,
Follow us on twitter @goswords
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- Hawaii Kai Fourth of July fireworks canceled, says organizer
- Kaiser High School's Principal John P. Sosa Named Hawaii's 2014 MetLife/NASSP Principal of the Year
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- Aiea High Dance Spring Concert
- EXCLUSIVE: Drivers find way around Chinatown 'smart' meters
- Hart CEO and Mayor Caldwell unveil rail art program
- App for this year’s Hawaii Book & Music Festival presented by Bank of Hawaii
- Kupu Students Learn About Sustainable Development and Operations as Part of Mentorship Day
- Kaiser Permanente Promotes Barbara Kashiwabara to Executive Director Ancillary Services
- BLT Steak Waikiki extends employee discount to military for Armed Forces Day, May 18
- Man in critical condition after moped accident in Waikiki
- Shoreline makes waves in Waikiki with grand opening celebration
- Rare Hawaiian surfing book expected to fetch $40K
- Ala Moana Hotel Contest Celebrates the Na Hoku Hanohano Awards