Tears flowed as Mid-Pacific Institute students and faculty in Honolulu bid farewell to their beloved President Joe Rice in a surprise assembly in his honor on Friday, May 17. Rice, who became president when the class of 2013 was being born, could not contain his emotions as students paid tribute to him, sang and danced for him, and gave him many warm hugs and handshakes.
“I love you all and I will NEVER forget you,” Rice told the assembly.
Among his achievements as head of the Manoa school, Rice:
- Launched a program that put iPads in the hands of every student and teacher this year.
- Created a new elementary school
- Opened new tech, math and science facilities.
- Added real estate to expand the campus
- Installed campus-wide air conditioning.
Most recently, he cheered the Mid-Pacific baseball team to its fifth state Division I baseball title.