UH Manoa's Gartley Hall renovations begin, 3 years after closure | News
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) – A groundbreaking ceremony was held Monday morning for renovations of the University of Hawaii Manoa's Gartley Hall, which was abruptly closed nearly three years ago because of structural damage.
Built in 1921, Gartley is one of oldest buildings in what's called the "old quadrangle" on the UH Manoa campus. In late 2009, it was evacuated because of health and safety concerns because it was not structurally sound.
Originally designed as a laboratory facility for chemistry, physical and sugar technology, the building will be renovated to become the future home of the Myron B. Thompson School of Social Work.
The UH is spending $12.5 million in upgrades on the building to improve the building's interior while preserving its historical façade. The construction work is scheduled to be finished in August of 2013.
"Because of the historic nature, we have to keep all the exterior facades. And basically, the old interior, floor, slabs, including the roof and columns, everything will be demolished," said architect Louis Fung, whose firm Fung Associates is handling the architectural design of the project.
copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Hawaii Supreme Court Issues Landmark Ruling On News Media And Public Access To Criminal Trials
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii CEO Allen Uyeda Retiring On July 31, 2014
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Kelly Sakai, Senior Loan Officer
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii Named One Of Nation's Top 50 Property & Casualty Insurance Co.
- Strong Demand For The Ritz-Carton Residences, Waikiki Beach
- Legendary Halloween Friday, October 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Happy Birthday to the King of Pop Friday, August 29-Sunday, August 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p
- Magical Christmas at Legends Wednesday, December 24-Thursday, December 25 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Beat the Heat - Play Bingo at Waikiki-Kapahulu Library on July 11