Man accused in deadly Oahu shooting spree fit to stand trial | News
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A judge has found a man accused of going on a freeway shooting spree fit to stand trial for murder.
Toby Stangel, 29, has pleaded not guilty to 20 counts including murder and attempted murder.
The rampage on June 3, 2011 started on Kapahulu Avenue. Bullets missed a man in an SUV, but Tammy Nguyen, 54, who was driving a minivan was killed. Ngyuyen was the mother of 10.
Honolulu police said Stangel then headed onto the H-1 freeway, slamming into Amy Asuncion's car and opening fire. She was critically injured. Investigators said Stangel also shot at Samson Naupoto as he drove by, hitting him in the leg. Then Stangel allegedly shot at officers at a traffic stop near the Aiea off-ramp.
The judge made his decision based on the reports of three mental health experts appointed to examine Stangel.
Bail for Stangel is $5 million.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Hawaii Supreme Court Issues Landmark Ruling On News Media And Public Access To Criminal Trials
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii CEO Allen Uyeda Retiring On July 31, 2014
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Kelly Sakai, Senior Loan Officer
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii Named One Of Nation's Top 50 Property & Casualty Insurance Co.
- Strong Demand For The Ritz-Carton Residences, Waikiki Beach
- Legendary Halloween Friday, October 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Happy Birthday to the King of Pop Friday, August 29-Sunday, August 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p
- Magical Christmas at Legends Wednesday, December 24-Thursday, December 25 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Beat the Heat - Play Bingo at Waikiki-Kapahulu Library on July 11