Man accused in deadly Oahu shooting spree fit to stand trial | News
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - A judge has found a man accused of going on a freeway shooting spree fit to stand trial for murder.
Toby Stangel, 29, has pleaded not guilty to 20 counts including murder and attempted murder.
The rampage on June 3, 2011 started on Kapahulu Avenue. Bullets missed a man in an SUV, but Tammy Nguyen, 54, who was driving a minivan was killed. Ngyuyen was the mother of 10.
Honolulu police said Stangel then headed onto the H-1 freeway, slamming into Amy Asuncion's car and opening fire. She was critically injured. Investigators said Stangel also shot at Samson Naupoto as he drove by, hitting him in the leg. Then Stangel allegedly shot at officers at a traffic stop near the Aiea off-ramp.
The judge made his decision based on the reports of three mental health experts appointed to examine Stangel.
Bail for Stangel is $5 million.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Ocean Safety officials urge public to listen to lifeguards
- Kaiser High School Graduation: Helpful Graduation Info for Guests
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- Hawaii Kai Fourth of July fireworks canceled, says organizer
- Kaiser High School's Principal John P. Sosa Named Hawaii's 2014 MetLife/NASSP Principal of the Year
- Owner of popular Oahu restaurant chain killed in Pali crash
- Island Oasis launches Atherton debut for bellydancing
- Hawaii's Public Libraries Will Consolidate Patron Database on June 3
- Hawaii's Public Libraries will Observe Memorial Day Holiday
- Christopher Wendel named Chief Financial Officer of Volta Industries
- Aqua Hospitality presents Summer Wednesdays at the Waikiki Aquarium
- AQUA HOSPITALITY PRESENTS SUMMER WEDNESDAYS AT THE WAIKIKI AQUARIUM
- 15th annual Lantern Floating ceremony to be held Monday evening
- Waikiki Aquarium's "Ke Kani O Ke Kai" 2013 summer concert series to feature popular local artists
- Red Cross Course Calendar (Oahu - June 2013)