Sacred Hearts Academy wins Hawaii Real World Design Challenge | News
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) - Lt. Governor Brian Schatz announced
Friday that Sacred Hearts Academy won first place in the Hawaii Real World
Design Challenge (RWDC). This year's challenge was to design an
efficient and eco-friendly light sport aircraft.
The five Sacred Hearts Academy girls will represent Hawaii at the
RWDC national competition in Washington D.C., April 20-23 completing an
additional challenge for the national competition.
The girls, under the direction of Deborah Kula, Sacred
Hearts Academy mathematics department chair and mentor Reid Noguchi, Aeronautical
Engineer at BAE Systems, began research in October 2011 finalizing the project
by February 6, 2012.
The Academy also won the 2011 Hawaii Real World Design Challenge
and earned the prestigious Judge's Award at the national competition.
The Real World Design Challenge (RWDC) is an annual competition
that provides high school students, grades 9-12, the opportunity to work on
real world engineering challenges in a team environment. Each year, student
teams are asked to address a challenge that confronts our nation's leading
industries. Students utilize professional engineering software to develop their
solutions and generate presentations that convincingly demonstrate the value of
their solutions. The RWDC provides students with opportunities to apply the
lessons of the classroom to the technical problems that are being faced in the
Copyright 2012 Hawaii
News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Twilight Tribute to the Troops!
- USO calls on Hawaii this summer to fire up their grills in support of the troops
- Ocean Safety officials urge public to listen to lifeguards
- Kaiser High School Graduation: Helpful Graduation Info for Guests
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- “TWO: THE STORY OF ROMAN AND NYRO” TO SCREEN AT HONOLULU RAINBOW FILM FESTIVAL.
- Owner of popular Oahu restaurant chain killed in Pali crash
- Island Oasis launches Atherton debut for bellydancing
- Hawaii's Public Libraries Will Consolidate Patron Database on June 3
- Hawaii's Public Libraries will Observe Memorial Day Holiday
- Aqua Hospitality presents Summer Wednesdays at the Waikiki Aquarium
- AQUA HOSPITALITY PRESENTS SUMMER WEDNESDAYS AT THE WAIKIKI AQUARIUM
- 15th annual Lantern Floating ceremony to be held Monday evening
- Waikiki Aquarium's "Ke Kani O Ke Kai" 2013 summer concert series to feature popular local artists
- Red Cross Course Calendar (Oahu - June 2013)