Schools closed after power outage in Manoa | News
MANOA (HawaiiNewsNow) - The lights are back on, but not after a power
outage shut down several Manoa schools on Tuesday.
Avenue Baptist Preschool
Valley Church PreSchool
Honolulu police say a suspected drunken driver
was sent to the hospital after she crashed her car into a utility pole on
University Avenue at Maile way just before 11 o'clock Monday night.
The University of Hawaii in Manoa was not
affected, but the crash did cause an initial black out for about a thousand
Hawaiian Electric customers in the area.
"Pretty much we just
parked on the street and we couldn't even get to our house. One officer told us
we couldn't go in, until a firefighter finally walked us over. Because it was
unsafe," said Manoa resident Andrea Benavente.
HECO crews worked thru the
morning and afternoon to replace the pole and re-attach its utilities, while
drivers were detoured around the closure between Maile way and Kaala street.
Power was restored at 11
a.m. and school should resume for those students tomorrow.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- McDonald’s supports 27,000 students in this year’s career and technical education program
- Honolulu Property Management Rolls Out New Tenant Portal
- Wet 'n' Wild Hawaii Welcomes Jerry Pupillo as New General Manager
- La Pietra presents “Up the Down Staircase”
- Hawaii Theatre to screen classic 1942 film Casablanca, April 26
- Outrigger Mauritius Resort and Spa Celebrates Stylish Grand Opening
- Coast Guard responding to spill in Ala Wai harbor
- Weeknight Waikiki parade draws big crowd, traffic
- Outrigger Enterprises Group Drives 86% More Mobile Bookings with Website Optimized by Mobify
- Crumbling concrete on walkway poses danger to Waikiki beachgoers