Schools closed after power outage in Manoa | News
MANOA (HawaiiNewsNow) - The lights are back on, but not after a power
outage shut down several Manoa schools on Tuesday.
Avenue Baptist Preschool
Valley Church PreSchool
Honolulu police say a suspected drunken driver
was sent to the hospital after she crashed her car into a utility pole on
University Avenue at Maile way just before 11 o'clock Monday night.
The University of Hawaii in Manoa was not
affected, but the crash did cause an initial black out for about a thousand
Hawaiian Electric customers in the area.
"Pretty much we just
parked on the street and we couldn't even get to our house. One officer told us
we couldn't go in, until a firefighter finally walked us over. Because it was
unsafe," said Manoa resident Andrea Benavente.
HECO crews worked thru the
morning and afternoon to replace the pole and re-attach its utilities, while
drivers were detoured around the closure between Maile way and Kaala street.
Power was restored at 11
a.m. and school should resume for those students tomorrow.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- First Insurance Charitable Foundation Donations Exceed $150,000 In First Half Of 2014
- American Savings Bank Donates $100,000 to the Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship
- Lasting Impacts of World War I Discussed at Hawaii State Library on July 26
- Honolulu's Group 70 Wins Bid on Major Tahiti Resort
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Strong Demand For The Ritz-Carton Residences, Waikiki Beach
- Legendary Halloween Friday, October 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Happy Birthday to the King of Pop Friday, August 29-Sunday, August 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p
- Magical Christmas at Legends Wednesday, December 24-Thursday, December 25 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Beat the Heat - Play Bingo at Waikiki-Kapahulu Library on July 11