Schools closed after power outage in Manoa | News
MANOA (HawaiiNewsNow) - The lights are back on, but not after a power
outage shut down several Manoa schools on Tuesday.
Avenue Baptist Preschool
Valley Church PreSchool
Honolulu police say a suspected drunken driver
was sent to the hospital after she crashed her car into a utility pole on
University Avenue at Maile way just before 11 o'clock Monday night.
The University of Hawaii in Manoa was not
affected, but the crash did cause an initial black out for about a thousand
Hawaiian Electric customers in the area.
"Pretty much we just
parked on the street and we couldn't even get to our house. One officer told us
we couldn't go in, until a firefighter finally walked us over. Because it was
unsafe," said Manoa resident Andrea Benavente.
HECO crews worked thru the
morning and afternoon to replace the pole and re-attach its utilities, while
drivers were detoured around the closure between Maile way and Kaala street.
Power was restored at 11
a.m. and school should resume for those students tomorrow.
Copyright 2012 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra Takes On Gershwin and Beethoven In April 26-27 Concerts
- Nominees Sought for 2014 Hawai‘i Waterman Hall of Fame
- Celebrate National Poetry Month at Hawaii State Library on April 19
- Ukulele Picnic Releases Updated Musical Lineup for 2014
- Kaiser Permanente Hawaii Welcomes New Director of Quality and Patient Safety