Punahou Named 2011 – 2012 Apple Distinguished School | Events
Punahou School today announced it has been named a 2011 - 2012 Apple Distinguished School, one of 56 schools from across the nation and the only school in Hawai'i, to receive the honor this year. Punahou also received the designation in 2009. The Apple Distinguished Schools program recognizes schools that are centers of educational excellence and leadership.
"Punahou School offers a learning environment that encourages student creativity, collaboration, critical thinking and communication, skills that are key to their success as 21st-century learners and leaders," said Punahou School President, Jim Scott. "We are honored to receive the Apple Distinguished Schools recognition, which affirms Punahou School's role as an educational resource for teachers across the state."
Punahou School maintains a robust educational technology program that features, among other things, one-to-one Apple laptops for students in grades 4 - 12; classrooms equipped with interactive white boards; and the use of iPads in both art and AP computer science classes. Teachers have access to ongoing professional development in technology and receive specialized support from dedicated resource teachers. During the summer, Punahou School hosts a technology lab that brings together Apple Distinguished Educators and approximately 100 teachers from Hawai'i public and independent schools.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Heed the call of the wild and support the Honolulu Zoo Society at Zoofari 2014
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- Honolulu Little League All Stars need your help
- ‘Parc Arts’ Features University of Hawaii Art Exhibitions
- HAWAII POPS OPENS SECOND SEASON WITH A CELEBRATION OF THE MUSIC OF THE BEATLES
- Hawai‘i Pacific Health presents “Women’s Way to Health” free community health event
- Kaiao Wins 6th Annual Kani Ka Pila Grille Talent Search
- Two Public Libraries Reopen Following Tent Fumigation Closures