Punahou Named 2011 – 2012 Apple Distinguished School | Events
Punahou School today announced it has been named a 2011 - 2012 Apple Distinguished School, one of 56 schools from across the nation and the only school in Hawai'i, to receive the honor this year. Punahou also received the designation in 2009. The Apple Distinguished Schools program recognizes schools that are centers of educational excellence and leadership.
"Punahou School offers a learning environment that encourages student creativity, collaboration, critical thinking and communication, skills that are key to their success as 21st-century learners and leaders," said Punahou School President, Jim Scott. "We are honored to receive the Apple Distinguished Schools recognition, which affirms Punahou School's role as an educational resource for teachers across the state."
Punahou School maintains a robust educational technology program that features, among other things, one-to-one Apple laptops for students in grades 4 - 12; classrooms equipped with interactive white boards; and the use of iPads in both art and AP computer science classes. Teachers have access to ongoing professional development in technology and receive specialized support from dedicated resource teachers. During the summer, Punahou School hosts a technology lab that brings together Apple Distinguished Educators and approximately 100 teachers from Hawai'i public and independent schools.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- Hawaii Kai Fourth of July fireworks canceled, says organizer
- Kaiser High School's Principal John P. Sosa Named Hawaii's 2014 MetLife/NASSP Principal of the Year
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- Aiea High Dance Spring Concert
- EXCLUSIVE: Drivers find way around Chinatown 'smart' meters
- Hart CEO and Mayor Caldwell unveil rail art program
- App for this year’s Hawaii Book & Music Festival presented by Bank of Hawaii
- Kupu Students Learn About Sustainable Development and Operations as Part of Mentorship Day
- Kaiser Permanente Promotes Barbara Kashiwabara to Executive Director Ancillary Services
- BLT Steak Waikiki extends employee discount to military for Armed Forces Day, May 18
- Man in critical condition after moped accident in Waikiki
- Shoreline makes waves in Waikiki with grand opening celebration
- Rare Hawaiian surfing book expected to fetch $40K
- Ala Moana Hotel Contest Celebrates the Na Hoku Hanohano Awards