Punahou Named 2011 – 2012 Apple Distinguished School | Events
Punahou School today announced it has been named a 2011 - 2012 Apple Distinguished School, one of 56 schools from across the nation and the only school in Hawai'i, to receive the honor this year. Punahou also received the designation in 2009. The Apple Distinguished Schools program recognizes schools that are centers of educational excellence and leadership.
"Punahou School offers a learning environment that encourages student creativity, collaboration, critical thinking and communication, skills that are key to their success as 21st-century learners and leaders," said Punahou School President, Jim Scott. "We are honored to receive the Apple Distinguished Schools recognition, which affirms Punahou School's role as an educational resource for teachers across the state."
Punahou School maintains a robust educational technology program that features, among other things, one-to-one Apple laptops for students in grades 4 - 12; classrooms equipped with interactive white boards; and the use of iPads in both art and AP computer science classes. Teachers have access to ongoing professional development in technology and receive specialized support from dedicated resource teachers. During the summer, Punahou School hosts a technology lab that brings together Apple Distinguished Educators and approximately 100 teachers from Hawai'i public and independent schools.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- EXCLUSIVE: Teacher's aide investigated for stabbing student with pencil
- Gee Yung Martial Arts to perform lion dance at Koko Marina Center
- Man in serious condition due to possible gunshot wound
- Hawaii's fastest, free WiFi network activated in Kakaako
- Architects Hawaii prepares master plan for Palama settlement as part of community service program
- Voting ends march 9 for People’s Choice Competition of Toyota’s 2014 dream car art contest
- WET’N’WILD HAWAII offers Best Deal in 15 Years of Operation