Slam Poet Taylor Mali to Speak at 'Iolani School Jan.31 at 7 p.m. | Events
The following information is provided by Iolani School:
Taylor Mali, one of the most well-known poets to have emerged from the poetry slam movement, will hold a free poetry reading, "Bringing Poetry to the Boxing Room," in 'Iolani School's Seto Hall on Tuesday, January 31 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Book signing to follow.
Mali is the author of two books of poetry, The Last Time As We Are (Write Bloody Books 2009) and What Learning Leaves (Hanover 2002), and four CDs of spoken word. He received a New York Foundation for the Arts Grant in 2001 to develop Teacher! Teacher! a one-man show about poetry, teaching and math which won the jury prize for best solo performance at the 2001 Comedy Arts Festival. He is also the president of Poetry Slam, Inc, the non-profit organization that oversees all poetry slams in North America.
Mali will be in Honolulu serving as the 'Iolani School Keables Chair Holder. Supported by donations, the Keables Chair brings guest teachers to 'Iolani to serve two week teaching residencies. Mali will teach kindergarten through twelfth grade classes in a variety of subjects during his stay.For more information on Taylor Mali's public lecture, or to find out more about how to support the Keables Chair, please call 949-5355.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- EXCLUSIVE: Teacher's aide investigated for stabbing student with pencil
- Gee Yung Martial Arts to perform lion dance at Koko Marina Center
- Hawaii's fastest, free WiFi network activated in Kakaako
- Architects Hawaii prepares master plan for Palama settlement as part of community service program
- Voting ends march 9 for People’s Choice Competition of Toyota’s 2014 dream car art contest
- WET’N’WILD HAWAII offers Best Deal in 15 Years of Operation
- Honolulu Property Management Welcomes Michelle Tang, Vice President of Business Development