Slam Poet Taylor Mali to Speak at 'Iolani School Jan.31 at 7 p.m. | Events
The following information is provided by Iolani School:
Taylor Mali, one of the most well-known poets to have emerged from the poetry slam movement, will hold a free poetry reading, "Bringing Poetry to the Boxing Room," in 'Iolani School's Seto Hall on Tuesday, January 31 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Book signing to follow.
Mali is the author of two books of poetry, The Last Time As We Are (Write Bloody Books 2009) and What Learning Leaves (Hanover 2002), and four CDs of spoken word. He received a New York Foundation for the Arts Grant in 2001 to develop Teacher! Teacher! a one-man show about poetry, teaching and math which won the jury prize for best solo performance at the 2001 Comedy Arts Festival. He is also the president of Poetry Slam, Inc, the non-profit organization that oversees all poetry slams in North America.
Mali will be in Honolulu serving as the 'Iolani School Keables Chair Holder. Supported by donations, the Keables Chair brings guest teachers to 'Iolani to serve two week teaching residencies. Mali will teach kindergarten through twelfth grade classes in a variety of subjects during his stay.For more information on Taylor Mali's public lecture, or to find out more about how to support the Keables Chair, please call 949-5355.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- Hawaii Kai Fourth of July fireworks canceled, says organizer
- Kaiser High School's Principal John P. Sosa Named Hawaii's 2014 MetLife/NASSP Principal of the Year
- Free Career Night Hosted by Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties
- Aiea High Dance Spring Concert
- EXCLUSIVE: Drivers find way around Chinatown 'smart' meters
- Hart CEO and Mayor Caldwell unveil rail art program
- App for this year’s Hawaii Book & Music Festival presented by Bank of Hawaii
- Kupu Students Learn About Sustainable Development and Operations as Part of Mentorship Day
- Kaiser Permanente Promotes Barbara Kashiwabara to Executive Director Ancillary Services
- BLT Steak Waikiki extends employee discount to military for Armed Forces Day, May 18
- Man in critical condition after moped accident in Waikiki
- Shoreline makes waves in Waikiki with grand opening celebration
- Rare Hawaiian surfing book expected to fetch $40K
- Ala Moana Hotel Contest Celebrates the Na Hoku Hanohano Awards