Slam Poet Taylor Mali to Speak at 'Iolani School Jan.31 at 7 p.m. | Events
The following information is provided by Iolani School:
Taylor Mali, one of the most well-known poets to have emerged from the poetry slam movement, will hold a free poetry reading, "Bringing Poetry to the Boxing Room," in 'Iolani School's Seto Hall on Tuesday, January 31 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Book signing to follow.
Mali is the author of two books of poetry, The Last Time As We Are (Write Bloody Books 2009) and What Learning Leaves (Hanover 2002), and four CDs of spoken word. He received a New York Foundation for the Arts Grant in 2001 to develop Teacher! Teacher! a one-man show about poetry, teaching and math which won the jury prize for best solo performance at the 2001 Comedy Arts Festival. He is also the president of Poetry Slam, Inc, the non-profit organization that oversees all poetry slams in North America.
Mali will be in Honolulu serving as the 'Iolani School Keables Chair Holder. Supported by donations, the Keables Chair brings guest teachers to 'Iolani to serve two week teaching residencies. Mali will teach kindergarten through twelfth grade classes in a variety of subjects during his stay.For more information on Taylor Mali's public lecture, or to find out more about how to support the Keables Chair, please call 949-5355.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Koko Marina and Koolau Theaters to show UH Football Games Live
- Heed the call of the wild and support the Honolulu Zoo Society at Zoofari 2014
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- US-Japan Council Chooses Hawaii to Host 5th Annual Conference
- ‘Parc Arts’ Features University of Hawaii Art Exhibitions
- HAWAII POPS OPENS SECOND SEASON WITH A CELEBRATION OF THE MUSIC OF THE BEATLES
- Hawai‘i Pacific Health presents “Women’s Way to Health” free community health event
- Kaiao Wins 6th Annual Kani Ka Pila Grille Talent Search