Slam Poet Taylor Mali to Speak at 'Iolani School Jan.31 at 7 p.m. | Events
The following information is provided by Iolani School:
Taylor Mali, one of the most well-known poets to have emerged from the poetry slam movement, will hold a free poetry reading, "Bringing Poetry to the Boxing Room," in 'Iolani School's Seto Hall on Tuesday, January 31 from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Book signing to follow.
Mali is the author of two books of poetry, The Last Time As We Are (Write Bloody Books 2009) and What Learning Leaves (Hanover 2002), and four CDs of spoken word. He received a New York Foundation for the Arts Grant in 2001 to develop Teacher! Teacher! a one-man show about poetry, teaching and math which won the jury prize for best solo performance at the 2001 Comedy Arts Festival. He is also the president of Poetry Slam, Inc, the non-profit organization that oversees all poetry slams in North America.
Mali will be in Honolulu serving as the 'Iolani School Keables Chair Holder. Supported by donations, the Keables Chair brings guest teachers to 'Iolani to serve two week teaching residencies. Mali will teach kindergarten through twelfth grade classes in a variety of subjects during his stay.For more information on Taylor Mali's public lecture, or to find out more about how to support the Keables Chair, please call 949-5355.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kiewit Building Group Interns Enhance Pearl City Elementary With An Outdoor Amphitheater
- American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor Training
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Erica Dzikowski, Senior Loan Officer
- Kaiser Permanente Senior Summit Seminar - Assistive Technology for Healthy Living
- Red Cross First Aid Station Volunteers Needed!
- Strong Demand For The Ritz-Carton Residences, Waikiki Beach
- Legendary Halloween Friday, October 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Happy Birthday to the King of Pop Friday, August 29-Sunday, August 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p
- Magical Christmas at Legends Wednesday, December 24-Thursday, December 25 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Beat the Heat - Play Bingo at Waikiki-Kapahulu Library on July 11