Students Launch TEDxYouth@Punahou, March 17 | Community Spirit
Students Launch TEDxYouth@Punahou, March 17
Students will be giving voice to their passions as TEDxYouth@Punahou kicks off Saturday, March 17, 2012, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Wo International Center’s Luke Lecture Hall on the Punahou School campus.
The event is an independently organized, student-run showcase on the theme of “Passion: Pushing Boundaries” that was inspired by TED’s mission to promote “ideas worth spreading.” TEDxYouth@Punahou features 11 high school presenters from nine O‘ahu public and private schools: Assets, Campbell High, ‘Iolani, Kamaile Academy, Kailua High, Kaiser High, Mid-Pacific Institute, Mililani High and St. Andrew’s Priory. While attendance at the event is filled, the public is invited to view a live webcast of the event at punahou.edu/tedxyouth.
“I think it’s important to give students the opportunity to share their ideas with other students as well as adults,” said project organizer Nichole Adolpho, a Punahou senior. “I really want to show people that students are capable.” Adolpho heads a team of Punahou students that has been working on the event for more than a year.
Speakers will give multimedia presentations of up to 18 minutes on topics that range from rebuilding the voyaging canoe Hokule‘a to the isolating discrimination experienced by students with learning differences. The list of presenters is available at punahou.edu/tedxyouth. Join TEDxYouth@Punahou on Facebook and @TEDxYPunahou on Twitter.
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading. Started as a four-day conference in California 26 years ago, TED has grown to support those world-changing ideas with multiple initiatives. At TED, the world's leading thinkers and doers are asked to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. Talks are then made available, free, at TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Benoit Mandelbrot, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Isabel Allende and former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown. Two major TED events are held each year: The TED Conference takes place every spring in Long Beach, California (along with a parallel conference, TEDActive, in Palm Springs), and TEDGlobal is held each summer in Edinburgh, Scotland.
TED’s media initiatives include TED.com, where new TEDTalks are posted daily; the new TED Conversations, enabling broad conversations among TED fans; and the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as the ability for any TEDTalk to be translated by volunteers worldwide.
TED has established the annual TED Prize, where exceptional individuals with a wish to change the world are given the opportunity to put their wishes into action; TEDx, which offers individuals or groups a way to host local, self-organized events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, helping world-changing innovators from around the globe to become part of the TED community and, with its help, amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
For information about TED's upcoming conferences, visit http://www.ted.com/registration,
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- HMSA Farmers market begins Friday, July 11
- See Free Screening of "The Lego Movie" at Hawaii Kai Library on July 16
- CBP Agents Rank Among NRT LLC's Top Sales Associates for First Quarter 2014
- Free Limited-Edition Summer Tote at Kahala Mall During July Gift With Purchase event
- Spike in Luxury Home Market Sales on Oahu in May
- Honolulu's Group 70 Wins Bid on Major Tahiti Resort
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Hawaii Supreme Court Issues Landmark Ruling On News Media And Public Access To Criminal Trials
- First Insurance Company Of Hawaii CEO Allen Uyeda Retiring On July 31, 2014
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Kelly Sakai, Senior Loan Officer
- Strong Demand For The Ritz-Carton Residences, Waikiki Beach
- Legendary Halloween Friday, October 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Happy Birthday to the King of Pop Friday, August 29-Sunday, August 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p
- Magical Christmas at Legends Wednesday, December 24-Thursday, December 25 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Beat the Heat - Play Bingo at Waikiki-Kapahulu Library on July 11