Hawai‘i Pacific University is Gifted $125,000 from Bank of Hawaii Foundation | Community Spirit
The revitalization of Aloha Tower Marketplace as a vibrant hub for retail, residential and educational uses, gained its first major corporate supporter, with Bank of Hawaii Foundation donating $125,000 for the Hawai‘i Pacific University (HPU) Learning Commons.
The HPU Learning Commons will be a state-of-the-art learning and technology center that provides students and faculty with a modern space to collaborate, exchange ideas, socialize and learn as a group. Additionally, the space will help enrich Honolulu’s intellectual and cultural scene by providing a home for seminars on arts and culture, as well as think-tank sessions for a broad range of ages and demographics.
“Bank of Hawaii Foundation is committed to supporting the communities we serve and believe that education is an invaluable tool for building the next generation of strong leaders,” said Donna Tanoue, president, Bank of Hawaii Foundation. “We applaud Hawai‘i Pacific University for its bold vision to transform Aloha Tower Marketplace into a site of higher learning for not just its students, but the community at large.”
Learning commons have emerged as the model for contemporary university library design, with proven positive outcomes – including improved study skills and successful completion of academic assignments.
“As stewards of Aloha Tower Marketplace, we are confident that a balance of thriving retail and education will ensure the long-term sustainability of this iconic destination,” said HPU president, Dr. Geoffrey Bannister. “We offer our most sincere mahalo to Bank of Hawaii Foundation for its generous donation and know that other corporate partners will follow suit as we move forward with implementing our strategic plan; reinforcing our commitment to making downtown Honolulu our core campus; and providing meaningful economic, social and environmental benefits to the state.”
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Koko Marina and Koolau Theaters to show UH Football Games Live
- Heed the call of the wild and support the Honolulu Zoo Society at Zoofari 2014
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- US-Japan Council Chooses Hawaii to Host 5th Annual Conference
- ‘Parc Arts’ Features University of Hawaii Art Exhibitions
- HAWAII POPS OPENS SECOND SEASON WITH A CELEBRATION OF THE MUSIC OF THE BEATLES
- Hawai‘i Pacific Health presents “Women’s Way to Health” free community health event
- Kaiao Wins 6th Annual Kani Ka Pila Grille Talent Search