Hawai‘i Pacific University is Gifted $125,000 from Bank of Hawaii Foundation | Community Spirit
The revitalization of Aloha Tower Marketplace as a vibrant hub for retail, residential and educational uses, gained its first major corporate supporter, with Bank of Hawaii Foundation donating $125,000 for the Hawai‘i Pacific University (HPU) Learning Commons.
The HPU Learning Commons will be a state-of-the-art learning and technology center that provides students and faculty with a modern space to collaborate, exchange ideas, socialize and learn as a group. Additionally, the space will help enrich Honolulu’s intellectual and cultural scene by providing a home for seminars on arts and culture, as well as think-tank sessions for a broad range of ages and demographics.
“Bank of Hawaii Foundation is committed to supporting the communities we serve and believe that education is an invaluable tool for building the next generation of strong leaders,” said Donna Tanoue, president, Bank of Hawaii Foundation. “We applaud Hawai‘i Pacific University for its bold vision to transform Aloha Tower Marketplace into a site of higher learning for not just its students, but the community at large.”
Learning commons have emerged as the model for contemporary university library design, with proven positive outcomes – including improved study skills and successful completion of academic assignments.
“As stewards of Aloha Tower Marketplace, we are confident that a balance of thriving retail and education will ensure the long-term sustainability of this iconic destination,” said HPU president, Dr. Geoffrey Bannister. “We offer our most sincere mahalo to Bank of Hawaii Foundation for its generous donation and know that other corporate partners will follow suit as we move forward with implementing our strategic plan; reinforcing our commitment to making downtown Honolulu our core campus; and providing meaningful economic, social and environmental benefits to the state.”
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kiewit Building Group Interns Enhance Pearl City Elementary With An Outdoor Amphitheater
- American Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Instructor Training
- Honolulu HomeLoans Welcomes Erica Dzikowski, Senior Loan Officer
- Kaiser Permanente Senior Summit Seminar - Assistive Technology for Healthy Living
- Red Cross First Aid Station Volunteers Needed!
- Strong Demand For The Ritz-Carton Residences, Waikiki Beach
- Legendary Halloween Friday, October 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Happy Birthday to the King of Pop Friday, August 29-Sunday, August 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p
- Magical Christmas at Legends Wednesday, December 24-Thursday, December 25 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Beat the Heat - Play Bingo at Waikiki-Kapahulu Library on July 11