Sustainable Community Garden Opens at YWCA of Oahu’s Fernhurst Residence | Business
A 900-square-foot community garden at the YWCA of O‘ahu’s Fernhurst Residence is the result of a community partnership started last year. Fernhurst is located in Makiki and is the oldest all-woman’s transitional residence on O‘ahu.
The yield from the garden goes to meals served at Fernhurst, where women and their children are provided two daily meals. Residents are assigned plots and tend to the garden, which is growing lettuce, mixed greens, herbs, green peppers, chili peppers, cucumbers, eggplant and tomatoes.
“The community garden represents the peaceful sanctuary we strive to create for the women at Fernhurst,” said Rhonda Jones, supervisor of Fernhurst. “From a practical standpoint, we are helping our residents be healthy and contribute to the sustainability of the organization.”
“It gives us a great deal of pride to contribute to the self-sufficiency of women,” said D.J. Dole, board member of Locations Foundation. “Our partnership with the YWCA of Oahu’s Fernhurst Residence is one example of our commitment to women and children in our community.”
The community garden project was led by volunteers from Prudential Locations and funded primarily by Prudential Locations LLC through Locations Foundation. The YWCA of O‘ahu also contributed funds, resources and labor to the garden. The collaboration was anchored to Make a Difference Day, a national day of volunteering created by USA WEEKEND Magazine.
“We are grateful for partnerships like this one with Locations Foundation,” said Kimberly Miyazawa Frank,” YWCA of Oahu’s CEO. “The crew of volunteers embraced our mission and worked tirelessly to create a beautiful space for our residents.”
Fernhurst Residence has provided safe shelter and support for women and children since 1912. Homebase, a YWCA of O‘ahu program at Fernhurst, offers economically disadvantaged women the opportunity to prepare for transition from challenging life circumstances to permanent housing. The women have access to an on-site computer lab; mentoring; and classes on budgeting, saving, investing and borrowing money, career and life-planning. Fernhurst residents also volunteer two hours a week.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Surf4HUGS Will Again Put Smiles on the Faces of Seriously Ill Keiki
- Hawaii’s Construction Boom Calls on ALTRES Staffing to Send the Best
- Kaiser Permanente Appoints Mark Linscott As Executive Director Of Strategic Planning And Deployment
- Kiewit Building Group Inc. Hires Gabriel Kwiatkowski for Kapolei II Elementary Project
- HIFI Fashion Showcase on tap for Made in Hawaii Festival
- Strong Demand For The Ritz-Carton Residences, Waikiki Beach
- Legendary Halloween Friday, October 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Happy Birthday to the King of Pop Friday, August 29-Sunday, August 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p
- Magical Christmas at Legends Wednesday, December 24-Thursday, December 25 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Beat the Heat - Play Bingo at Waikiki-Kapahulu Library on July 11