"I Love the Skin I'm In" Design Contest Winner to Be Announced May 12 | Arts & Culture
Information courtesy: University of Hawaii Cancer Center
HONOLULU—The University of Hawaii Cancer Center, Xcel, and the Skin Cancer Coalition of Hawaii will kickoff this summer’s “I Love the Skin I’m In” skin cancer awareness campaign during National Skin Cancer Awareness Month on Saturday, May 12th at the Kapiolani Park Bandstand.
Finalists of the recent “I Love the Skin I’m In” t-shirt design contest will be announced and the winning design revealed at the free event open to the public. The program which will run from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. will also feature live entertainment from B.E.T. and Kendra, free skin cancer screenings, food trucks, and more.
The “I Love the Skin I’m In” t-shirt design contest sought entries from young local residents to create a motivational, awareness-building design. With approximately 5,000 new skin cancer diagnoses each year, Hawaii’s youth are at greatest risk for developing one of today’s most common yet easily preventable types of cancer. The winning entry will be sold at Xcel’s Oahu store locations this summer.
The “I Love the Skin I’m In” t-shirt design contest and overall campaign are the most recent initiatives to stem from the partnership between the University of Hawaii Cancer Center and Xcel in their efforts to fight skin cancer. A portion of proceeds from Xcel’s sun-protective clothing is donated to the Xcel Skin Cancer Prevention Fund, managed by the Friends of the University of Hawaii Cancer Center to support the development of youth-oriented skin cancer awareness and education programs.
All efforts for this campaign are educational and not for profit. Learn more about the work of the University of Hawaii Cancer Center at www.uhcancercenter.org or Xcel at xcelwetsuits.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Twilight Tribute to the Troops!
- USO calls on Hawaii this summer to fire up their grills in support of the troops
- Ocean Safety officials urge public to listen to lifeguards
- Kaiser High School Graduation: Helpful Graduation Info for Guests
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- “TWO: THE STORY OF ROMAN AND NYRO” TO SCREEN AT HONOLULU RAINBOW FILM FESTIVAL.
- Owner of popular Oahu restaurant chain killed in Pali crash
- Island Oasis launches Atherton debut for bellydancing
- Hawaii's Public Libraries Will Consolidate Patron Database on June 3
- Hawaii's Public Libraries will Observe Memorial Day Holiday
- Aqua Hospitality presents Summer Wednesdays at the Waikiki Aquarium
- AQUA HOSPITALITY PRESENTS SUMMER WEDNESDAYS AT THE WAIKIKI AQUARIUM
- 15th annual Lantern Floating ceremony to be held Monday evening
- Waikiki Aquarium's "Ke Kani O Ke Kai" 2013 summer concert series to feature popular local artists
- Red Cross Course Calendar (Oahu - June 2013)