"I Love the Skin I'm In" Design Contest Winner to Be Announced May 12 | Arts & Culture
Information courtesy: University of Hawaii Cancer Center
HONOLULU—The University of Hawaii Cancer Center, Xcel, and the Skin Cancer Coalition of Hawaii will kickoff this summer’s “I Love the Skin I’m In” skin cancer awareness campaign during National Skin Cancer Awareness Month on Saturday, May 12th at the Kapiolani Park Bandstand.
Finalists of the recent “I Love the Skin I’m In” t-shirt design contest will be announced and the winning design revealed at the free event open to the public. The program which will run from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. will also feature live entertainment from B.E.T. and Kendra, free skin cancer screenings, food trucks, and more.
The “I Love the Skin I’m In” t-shirt design contest sought entries from young local residents to create a motivational, awareness-building design. With approximately 5,000 new skin cancer diagnoses each year, Hawaii’s youth are at greatest risk for developing one of today’s most common yet easily preventable types of cancer. The winning entry will be sold at Xcel’s Oahu store locations this summer.
The “I Love the Skin I’m In” t-shirt design contest and overall campaign are the most recent initiatives to stem from the partnership between the University of Hawaii Cancer Center and Xcel in their efforts to fight skin cancer. A portion of proceeds from Xcel’s sun-protective clothing is donated to the Xcel Skin Cancer Prevention Fund, managed by the Friends of the University of Hawaii Cancer Center to support the development of youth-oriented skin cancer awareness and education programs.
All efforts for this campaign are educational and not for profit. Learn more about the work of the University of Hawaii Cancer Center at www.uhcancercenter.org or Xcel at xcelwetsuits.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Kahala Mall’s Marsha Nadalin Salon + Spa celebrates 20th Anniversary
- Fun, Food, Games, Music and More at the Friends of Wai‘alae School Fun Fair March 8
- Kahala Mall welcomes Quiksilver Board Room
- SEED Sprouts a New Dining Experience in the Heart of Kaimuki
- EXCLUSIVE: Teacher's aide investigated for stabbing student with pencil
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra joins Maestro Roger Nierenberg in special ‘Music Paradigm’ event
- Kaiser Permanente Hawaii rolls out free Wi-Fi at all facilities
- Attend Teen Tech Week Events at Six Libraries in March
- Man in serious condition due to possible gunshot wound
- Hawaii's fastest, free WiFi network activated in Kakaako