"I Love the Skin I'm In" Design Contest Winner to Be Announced May 12 | Arts & Culture
Information courtesy: University of Hawaii Cancer Center
HONOLULU—The University of Hawaii Cancer Center, Xcel, and the Skin Cancer Coalition of Hawaii will kickoff this summer’s “I Love the Skin I’m In” skin cancer awareness campaign during National Skin Cancer Awareness Month on Saturday, May 12th at the Kapiolani Park Bandstand.
Finalists of the recent “I Love the Skin I’m In” t-shirt design contest will be announced and the winning design revealed at the free event open to the public. The program which will run from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. will also feature live entertainment from B.E.T. and Kendra, free skin cancer screenings, food trucks, and more.
The “I Love the Skin I’m In” t-shirt design contest sought entries from young local residents to create a motivational, awareness-building design. With approximately 5,000 new skin cancer diagnoses each year, Hawaii’s youth are at greatest risk for developing one of today’s most common yet easily preventable types of cancer. The winning entry will be sold at Xcel’s Oahu store locations this summer.
The “I Love the Skin I’m In” t-shirt design contest and overall campaign are the most recent initiatives to stem from the partnership between the University of Hawaii Cancer Center and Xcel in their efforts to fight skin cancer. A portion of proceeds from Xcel’s sun-protective clothing is donated to the Xcel Skin Cancer Prevention Fund, managed by the Friends of the University of Hawaii Cancer Center to support the development of youth-oriented skin cancer awareness and education programs.
All efforts for this campaign are educational and not for profit. Learn more about the work of the University of Hawaii Cancer Center at www.uhcancercenter.org or Xcel at xcelwetsuits.com.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Koko Marina and Koolau Theaters to show UH Football Games Live
- Heed the call of the wild and support the Honolulu Zoo Society at Zoofari 2014
- Oahu's Luxury Home Market Continues Upward Trend in July
- Coldwell Banker Pacific Properties Hosts Free Career Night
- Hawaii Kai Towne Center Sounds Off 10th Annual Summer Concert Series With Maunalua, August 23
- US-Japan Council Chooses Hawaii to Host 5th Annual Conference
- ‘Parc Arts’ Features University of Hawaii Art Exhibitions
- HAWAII POPS OPENS SECOND SEASON WITH A CELEBRATION OF THE MUSIC OF THE BEATLES
- Hawai‘i Pacific Health presents “Women’s Way to Health” free community health event
- Kaiao Wins 6th Annual Kani Ka Pila Grille Talent Search