Aloha Shorts Opens New Season with FREE Live Taping "Writing on the Edge" | Arts & Culture
Aloha Shorts, Hawaii Public Radio's popular radio program of writings from Bamboo RIdge Press read by Hawai'i's actors, opens its new season on Sunday, October 2 with a program of "Writing on the Edge: Science Fiction and the Surreal." Taped before a live audience in HPR's Atherton Studio (738 Kaheka Street) the event kicks off with a musical set by the Aloha Shorts house band Hamajang at 6:45 p.m. Admission is free, but reservations are required. To reserve, call the station during business hours at 955-8821. (Reservations are released at 6:55 p.m. on night of taping to those on the waiting list.)
The featured readings are:
- "Ho'oulu Lahui" by Victoria Nalani Kneubuhl, read by Nyla Fujii-Babb
- " Da Chree Wild Musubi an da Search fo da Great Ume" by Normie R. Salvador, read by Cheyne Gallarde
- "Troll" by Steven Goldsberry, read by Puakea Nogelmeier
- "First" by Lisa Asagi and "Revolution of the Spheres" by Tamara Leiokanoe Moan, read by Jamie Simpson Steele
- "Life in the Egg" by Seung-Hee Kim and "Moon People" by Wendy Miyake, read by Stephanie Kong
Hamajang band members (Derek Ferrar, Charley Myers, Mark Scrufari, Yash Wichmann-Walczak) and guest artists Peter Bond, Stephanie Kong, and "Loud Larry" Lieberman invite audience participation in the musical number, "Let's Do the Time Warp Again" from The Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Aloha Shorts is a locally produced radio program of writings from Bamboo Ridge Press performed by Hawaiʻi’s actors. The shows tape before a live audience on the first Sunday of every month and are broadcast every Tuesday at 6:30 pm on Hawaii Public Radio’s KIPO 89.3 FM and now on KIPM 89.7 FM. Tapings and broadcasts are supported in part by the Hawaiʻi Council for the Humanities. Visit http://www.bambooridge.com or http://www.hawaiipublicradio.org for more information or to listen to podcasts. Podcasts also available for download at http://feeds2.feedburner.com/AlohaShorts. On-air host is Cedric Yamanaka and the house band is Hamajang. Aloha Shorts is co-produced by Sammie Choy, Craig Howes, and Phyllis S.K. Look. Find us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/alohashorts
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hawaii’s Construction Boom Calls on ALTRES Staffing to Send the Best
- Kaiser Permanente Appoints Mark Linscott As Executive Director Of Strategic Planning And Deployment
- Kiewit Building Group Inc. Hires Gabriel Kwiatkowski for Kapolei II Elementary Project
- HIFI Fashion Showcase on tap for Made in Hawaii Festival
- HUGS Celebrates the Lives of Seriously Ill Children
- Strong Demand For The Ritz-Carton Residences, Waikiki Beach
- Legendary Halloween Friday, October 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Happy Birthday to the King of Pop Friday, August 29-Sunday, August 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p
- Magical Christmas at Legends Wednesday, December 24-Thursday, December 25 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Beat the Heat - Play Bingo at Waikiki-Kapahulu Library on July 11