Meet "Hawaiian Surfing" Author at Kaimuki Library | Arts & Culture
“Hawaiian Surfing: Traditions from the Past” will be presented by author John R. K. Clark at Kaimuki Public Library on Sunday, September 18 at 2 p.m. The free program will be conducted in the Adult Reading Section.
Clark, a former lifeguard and deputy fire chief, has written numerous books about Hawaii’s beaches and ocean lore. He will discuss his latest book “Hawaiian Surfing: Traditions from the Past,” a history of the traditional sport narrated primarily by native Hawaiians who wrote for Hawaiian-language newspapers of the 1800s.
Clark’s book also presents other types of surfing, including descriptions of body surfing, canoe surfing, body boarding, skimming, and river surfing. The book has been described as “an amazing study of the sport . . . that far surpasses any previous work.”
The one-hour program is suitable for age 12 and older. It is recommended for anyone who surfs or just appreciates the sport’s importance in Hawaiian culture.
Contact the Library two weeks in advance if a sign language interpreter or other special accommodation is needed.
Kaimuki Public Library is located at 1041 Koko Head Avenue, corner of Koko Head and Harding Avenues. In addition to the Library’s parking lot, program attendees may park in Kaimuki’s municipal lots. For more information, please call the Library during normal hours of operation at 733-8422.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Twilight Tribute to the Troops!
- USO calls on Hawaii this summer to fire up their grills in support of the troops
- Ocean Safety officials urge public to listen to lifeguards
- Kaiser High School Graduation: Helpful Graduation Info for Guests
- Kahala Senior Living Community, Inc. Announces New Board Members
- “TWO: THE STORY OF ROMAN AND NYRO” TO SCREEN AT HONOLULU RAINBOW FILM FESTIVAL.
- Owner of popular Oahu restaurant chain killed in Pali crash
- Island Oasis launches Atherton debut for bellydancing
- Hawaii's Public Libraries Will Consolidate Patron Database on June 3
- Hawaii's Public Libraries will Observe Memorial Day Holiday
- Aqua Hospitality presents Summer Wednesdays at the Waikiki Aquarium
- AQUA HOSPITALITY PRESENTS SUMMER WEDNESDAYS AT THE WAIKIKI AQUARIUM
- 15th annual Lantern Floating ceremony to be held Monday evening
- Waikiki Aquarium's "Ke Kani O Ke Kai" 2013 summer concert series to feature popular local artists
- Red Cross Course Calendar (Oahu - June 2013)