Meet "Hawaiian Surfing" Author at Kaimuki Library | Arts & Culture
“Hawaiian Surfing: Traditions from the Past” will be presented by author John R. K. Clark at Kaimuki Public Library on Sunday, September 18 at 2 p.m. The free program will be conducted in the Adult Reading Section.
Clark, a former lifeguard and deputy fire chief, has written numerous books about Hawaii’s beaches and ocean lore. He will discuss his latest book “Hawaiian Surfing: Traditions from the Past,” a history of the traditional sport narrated primarily by native Hawaiians who wrote for Hawaiian-language newspapers of the 1800s.
Clark’s book also presents other types of surfing, including descriptions of body surfing, canoe surfing, body boarding, skimming, and river surfing. The book has been described as “an amazing study of the sport . . . that far surpasses any previous work.”
The one-hour program is suitable for age 12 and older. It is recommended for anyone who surfs or just appreciates the sport’s importance in Hawaiian culture.
Contact the Library two weeks in advance if a sign language interpreter or other special accommodation is needed.
Kaimuki Public Library is located at 1041 Koko Head Avenue, corner of Koko Head and Harding Avenues. In addition to the Library’s parking lot, program attendees may park in Kaimuki’s municipal lots. For more information, please call the Library during normal hours of operation at 733-8422.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- First Insurance Charitable Foundation Donations Exceed $150,000 In First Half Of 2014
- American Savings Bank Donates $100,000 to the Pacific Asian Center for Entrepreneurship
- Lasting Impacts of World War I Discussed at Hawaii State Library on July 26
- Honolulu's Group 70 Wins Bid on Major Tahiti Resort
- Governor Releases $500,000 for New Lanai Community Health Center Facility
- Strong Demand For The Ritz-Carton Residences, Waikiki Beach
- Legendary Halloween Friday, October 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Happy Birthday to the King of Pop Friday, August 29-Sunday, August 31: 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p
- Magical Christmas at Legends Wednesday, December 24-Thursday, December 25 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
- Beat the Heat - Play Bingo at Waikiki-Kapahulu Library on July 11