Ward Centers Spreads Good Fortune and Good Fun with “Discover Kaka‘ako,” Feb. 9 |
Title (Max 100 Characters)
On Saturday, Feb. 9, kama‘āina and visitors alike can head down to “Discover Kaka‘ako” at Ward Centers to kick off the Lunar New Year with lion dancing, live music, food trucks and an exciting fashion show. Additionally, the first 500 people to show that they “like” Ward Centers on Facebook at the Yelp tent will receive a lucky lai see (red envelopes) filled with coupons or gift cards from Ward Centers merchants ranging in value from $10 to $100.
“The Lunar New Year is a time for family and friends to come together to celebrate good fortune, good health and good luck for the New Year,” said Katie Ka‘anapu, Ward Centers senior marketing manager. “At this month’s Discover Kaka‘ako, our shoppers can partake in all their favorite Lunar New Year’s festivities – from sampling fresh gau and feeding the lions to picking up some lucky lai see!”
Produced by HPELive and presented by Hawai‘i State Federal Credit Union, some of the exciting activities happening at this month’s Discover Kaka‘ako event currently include:
Parking lot fronting Ward Centers’ Consolidated Movie Theatre
- Check out the gravity-defying antics of the Wah Ngai Lion Dance Association’s lion pole jumping from 5-5:45 p.m.
- Jam to island acoustic contemporary music by dynamic ukulele trio, Heart & Soul, from 6-7 p.m.
- Smile for the camera! Hawai‘i State Federal Credit Union will be hosting a photo booth, complete with Lunar New Year props from 5-9 p.m.
- Enjoy a live performance by the talented Sean Naʻauao at 8 p.m.
- Food tents and trucks will provide a feast of Lunar New Year delicacies from 5-9 p.m.
- Toast the Near Year by trying a new beer at REAL a Gastropub’s Liquor and Beer Garden which will be offering a variety of beers on tap and by the bottle plus alcohol spirits as well.
Ward Centre Activities
- Join Taz Vegas as he performs a musical twist of top 40 covers infused with island rhythms and a collection of originally composed songs from 5-7 p.m.
- Celebrate the dawn of the Lunar New Year by exploring the food and art open house at Ward Centre from 5-9 p.m.
Ward Warehouse Activities
- Check out some of the latest February fashions with a special fashion show featuring looks by Divalicious, T.J.Maxx and Town & Country Surf at 7 p.m.
- To finish off the fashion show, watch a special cheung sam finale fashion show, featuring the vibrant and timeless Chinese-style dresses modeled by a few members of the 2013 Miss Chinatown Hawai‘i court.
Don’t forget – Vacations Hawai‘i is offering two trips to Las Vegas in 2013, with winners announced in June and December 2013. This month’s winner will be selected at 7:30 p.m. at the stage located in the parking lot fronting Ward Centers’ Consolidated Theatre. Discover Kaka‘ako regulars and shoppers can increase their chances of winning by entering at Discover Kaka‘ako every month. In addition to the Vacations Hawai‘i prizes, Ward Centers’ stores and restaurants will be giving away prizes throughout the Discover Kaka‘ako event.
Discover Kaka‘ako is part of a larger campaign of events known as “Discover Our Islands” that was launched to recognize and honor Hawai‘i’s unique culture. Neighborhoods across the state -- including Kapolei, Kailua, and Waikīkī -- hold similar events throughout the year, recognizing the unique characteristics and features of each area.
Ward Centers is located in the heart of Kaka‘ako and is Honolulu’s premier street shopping, dining and entertainment district with 135 unique shops and 40 eateries. Parking for Discover Kaka‘ako is available at any of Ward Centers’ 4,200 event parking stalls located at the T.J.Maxx parking structure, Ward Warehouse, Ward Entertainment structure and Ward Center.
To stay up to date on upcoming Discover Kaka‘ako events, visit www.wardcenters.com/Events/current/DiscoverKakaako.html or www.discoverkakaako.com and follow the #discoverkakaako hashtag. To join the conversation for all things Ward Centers, visit Ward Centers’ Facebook page at www.facebook.com/VictoriaWardCenters, and on Twitter at www.twitter.com/ward_centers.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Hawaii Symphony Orchestra Takes On Gershwin and Beethoven In April 26-27 Concerts
- Nominees Sought for 2014 Hawai‘i Waterman Hall of Fame
- Celebrate National Poetry Month at Hawaii State Library on April 19
- Ukulele Picnic Releases Updated Musical Lineup for 2014
- Kaiser Permanente Hawaii Welcomes New Director of Quality and Patient Safety
- Outrigger Enterprises Group Drives 86% More Mobile Bookings with Website Optimized by Mobify
- Crumbling concrete on walkway poses danger to Waikiki beachgoers
- Group aims to build Waikiki condominium hotel
- $160 Million superyacht cruises Hawaiian islands
- City starts work on two new sewer lines following Ala Wai disaster